From Sudha Ponnaganti <sudha.ponnaga...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: [ACS41][QA] Testing process for 4.1.0
Date Wed, 02 Jan 2013 23:32:49 GMT
Sure

-----Original Message-----
From: Chip Childers [mailto:chip.childers@sungard.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 02, 2013 1:48 PM
To: cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: [ACS41][QA] Testing process for 4.1.0

On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 4:28 PM, Sudha Ponnaganti <sudha.ponnaganti@citrix.com> wrote:
> Hi Chip,
>
> I am working on the areas to be tested and plan of execution as we speak - will be publishing
it shortly.  I have been following all the threads posted so I have context for areas to be
tested.
> If there are no objections (or volunteers), I definitely would like to take up QA Lead
 role for 4.1.

Fantastic!

So are you OK with the idea of getting the assignment of test cases switched over to being
"volunteering for test cases"?

> Thanks
> /Sudha

bit of a change in how we go about the QA process for our releases (to take effect in the
4.1.0 release cycle).

> My motivations are to increase:
> 1) the visibility of test engineers that have already been working on
> the project (especially those that happen to work for Citrix, but that
> aren't very visible to the larger community)
> 2) the diversity of the community members formally testing the
> releases (e.g.: provide an opportunity for non-Citrix contributors to
> be part of the formal QA processes)
>
> So what I'd like to propose is that someone volunteer to be the "QA lead" for the release
(Sudha, I'm looking in your general direction...
> ;-) ).  The QA lead can then pull together the list of test cases (or general areas of
testing).  The list and actual test scenarios would need to be public.

> Once the basic test strategy is in place, we hold "a call for testers"
> to get the volunteer test army assembled.  (I'd love to see
> contributors from throughout the community step up to own some test
> cases.)  I'd suggest that we do this as a process of assignment via volunteering, so
that the opportunity exists for new community members to grab a test or two.

> I know the changes aren't really that significant...  but the idea is to get the testing
process opened up completely as a community activity.