From Hari Kannan <hari.kan...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] Dedicated Resources: Dedicate Pods, Clusters, Hosts to a domain
Date Thu, 24 Jan 2013 06:52:44 GMT

From: Deepti Dohare [mailto:deepti.dohare@citrix.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 9:44 PM
To: Kiran Koneti
Cc: cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: RE: [DISCUSS] Dedicated Resources: Dedicate Pods, Clusters, Hosts to a domain

Deepti

-----Original Message-----
From: Kiran Koneti
Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 3:16 PM
To: Deepti Dohare
Cc: cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Regarding the Dedicated Resources - Private pod, cluster, host Functional Spec .

Hi Deepti ,

I have gone through the FS located in the below location and have some questions regarding
the feature.

FS Link: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Dedicated+Resources+-+Private+pod%2C+cluster%2C+host+Functional+Spec

Here are the List of Questions:

1)      Is the "Dedicated Resources Specific to OS on Dedicated HW" Feature also added to
the same FS.(as I see that both got merged to a single feature.)

[deepti] Are you asking about this feature: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/VMs+on+hardware+dedicated+to+a+specific+account
? This feature is combined with the feature: Private pod, cluster, host (see the 2nd row in
the table).

2)      How are we going to dedicate the pod/cluster/host to a particular account(are we using
only api's or there any UI changes also to implement the same.)

[deepti]  We are going to dedicate the resources using APIs only which will be added as a
part of the plugin.

3)      If I dedicate a pod to an account then it is equal that I dedicated the cluster as
well as the hosts in that cluster to the account?

[deepti] If we dedicate a pod to an account, then all the clusters and hosts inside the pod
will be automatically dedicated to that account.

4)      Adding to the above  if I have a cluster with two hosts then can I dedicate each host
to a different account?

[deepti] Yes we can dedicate two clusters to two accounts unless clusters or pods to which
the host belongs, is not dedicated to any account/domain.

5)      I have a host dedicated to an account but if I won't use the Service offering with
"isdedicated" to true  and use any other offering will the VM be deployed? (case is there
are no other non dedicated hosts in the pool.)

[deepti] According to me, the vm deploy operation will fail if there are no non-dedicated
hosts available. Will confirm this scenario.

6)      Will we use the UUID or just the ID of the pod/cluster/host in the api to dedicate
a particular host.

[Deepti]  We are using only the UUIDs of the pod/cluster/host to dedicate the resource.

7)      Can we implement the same in the Upgraded environment also (If the "UUID" concept
is used as the hosts upgraded from 2.2.14 doesn't contain theUUID's).

[deepti] Like all other APIs, this use case will also be taken care of.

Regards,
Kiran.

Update,
> > Delete)