From Hugo Trippaers <HTrippa...@schubergphilis.com>
Subject RE: [ASFCS41] IPv6 Support
Date Mon, 14 Jan 2013 07:21:32 GMT
Side note, but where are we going to do development? I think we should get our work in a feature
branch as soon as possible so we can all contribute to the development.

Sheng, can you push any work you have done to a branch? I'll check and see if I need to commit
any of my changes then.

Cheers,

Hugo

-----Original Message-----
From: John Kinsella [mailto:jlk@stratosec.co]
Sent: vrijdag 11 januari 2013 19:50
To: cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: [ASFCS41] IPv6 Support

On Jan 10, 2013, at 11:09 AM, Sheng Yang <sheng@yasker.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 10:57 PM, John Kinsella <jlk@stratosec.co> wrote:
>> From a quick glance at it's man page, looks like it can do v4 and v6
>> leases at the same time...
> You mean dhcpd?

No, dnsmasq looked like it could...

> I am exploring all the possibility right now.
>
> Currently dnsmasq in our systemvm doesn't support DHCPv6, so we would
> either update to a newer version dnsmasq, or using other dhcp server(e.g.
> dhcpd) on DHCPv6.
>
> But replacing the dhcp server is a big work, all the configuration
> need to be rewritten. Regarding dhcpd, I haven't figured out how much
> effort we need to spend if we want to switch.
>
> There is one possible solution for this release: say, using dhcpd only
> for IPv6, to reduce our effort of introducing IPv6(if it's easier than
> moving to dhcpd). And then we can make the choice in the later release.
>
> John, do you have some experiences can share regarding dhcpd?
>
> Also, regarding your problem, have you used cloudstack to distribute
> IP? I don't think we support leasing on two /28s in advance network now?

So, in my lab env I've made a few changes to the server and UI to allow multiple IP blocks
in basic network (haven't tried in advanced yet), then additionally I'm passing a netmask
down to the agent, then that's passed through to dhcp_entry.sh, and then into edithosts.sh,
which I've updated to support dhcpd.  The one thing I wanted to do but haven't is to update
edithosts.sh to support both dnsmasq as well as dhcpd.

Note: this was done in-house without community involvement as I didn't expect general interest
in this, but I'm happy to use experience gained to write similar support in the ASF tree.

Johh