From Pranav Saxena <pranav.sax...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: Private development branch
Date Wed, 02 Jan 2013 15:25:48 GMT
Wido , you are right .

What Sateesh seems to be referring to is to have a safe and secure location for a non-committer
where he could push his changes while working on an "individual" feature. And since a non-committer
cannot push a feature branch to asf , Sateesh seems to be interested in maintaining a public
"github" repo which is open source .But the demerit is , as you very rightly pointed that
it won't be visible to the community  , unless few users in the community are sincerely interested
in forking that specific github repo for contributing to the feature development  , where
Sateesh can grant permissions . For a non-committer it might seem easy to maintain his code
commits like that . But then , when one has to merge it with asf/master , the user has to
continuously rebase it with asf/master else it t will definitely lead to conflicts.

Secondly , merging a public git hub repo without incessant community vigilance would lead
to issues and arguments later on since a similar case was encountered while development of
Autoscale feature in the recent past .

Otherwise , the trivial way of developing your feature on a private repo and then sending
small patches for review has been working out well in the past.

Any  elegant ideas for a non-committer to contribute and maintain his code base ?

I know Brian , one of the UI-devs has been maintaining git hub repos for his widgets framework
.

Regards,
Pranav