From Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@citrix.com>
Subject Re: [MERGE] Merge branch api_limit
Date Fri, 18 Jan 2013 02:43:13 GMT
+1 It's plugin so wont' affect the core.

Regards.
On 17-Jan-2013, at 4:09 PM, Min Chen <min.chen@citrix.com> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I would like to merge my feature branch api_limit with master. This branch deals with
JIRA tickets CLOUDSTACK-618. Basically it implemented a plugin to provide basic support for
api rate limiting to avoid malicious attack on CloudStack server. Implementation details can
be found in this FS document https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/API+Request+Throttling.
For this release, we have chosen to implement Ehcache based rate limit store. With clearly
defined limit store interface, we can easily extend this to provide other limit store implementations
based on Memcached or Redis which rely on setting up a dedicated proxy server.

> Testing done
>
> I have done the following two kinds of testing during development cycle:
>
> *   Unit test to verify ApiRateLimitService pluggable service interface and Limit Store
interface methods. These unit testcases are located in plugins/api/rate-limit/test/org/apache/cloudstack/ratelimit/ApiRateLimitTest.java.
> *   Integration test to verify rate limit feature and new APIs through a running MS.
These integration testcases are located in plugins/api/rate-limit/test/org/apache/cloudstack/ratelimit/integration/RateLimitIntegrationTest.java.
These test cases are assuming that we have a "demo" user account created on your locally running
MS.

> Risk
>
> This has minimal risk due to its plugin implementation. We can easily disable this feature
by removing this plugin from components.xml.in. A potential impact may be that if this is
enabled, UI needs to handle this situation (api failed due to over limit) gracefully.