From Brian Angus <blan...@betterservers.com>
Subject Re: Review Request: API commands to add or remove NIC from a VM
Date Mon, 21 Jan 2013 23:34:47 GMT
On 01/21/2013 02:02 PM, Marcus Sorensen wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 12:30 AM, Hari Kannan <hari.kannan@citrix.com>wrote:
>
> I think you're right on #1, that if you create a VM via API you can add
> multiple nics to the same network so long as you're not using a VPC. I
> don't know for sure off the top of my head though

I tested this out and it is correct that you can add multiple NICs with
the same network using the deployVirtualMachine api call.  When I was
implementing this I thought cloudstack only allowed one NIC per network
because the com.cloud.network.NetworkManager.createNicForVm function
does not create a NIC if there is already a NIC that exists on the
Network (is that the desired behavior or is it a bug?).

>> 2. Earlier, Marcus had stated that " It doesn't strictly require a reboot,
>> but it does require that you apply a network config. The nic will hot plug
>> but you either have to reboot or manually trigger a dhcp query " - wish to
>> reconfirm this to be the case - also, can you please provide a short note
>> on how to do this, so we can add it to the documentation?
>>

> We could give some basic examples, but it's largely going to come down to
> specific OS, for example with linux, it could change by distribution based
> on the udev rules, the config file locations, dhcp client differences, etc.
> It would be up to the admin of the VM guest to know how to set up a network
> card on their guest OS.

Right now the code in the add_remove_nics branch only works when the VM
is in a Stopped state.  I'm currently working on getting it working
while the VM is in a Running state.