From Wido den Hollander <w...@widodh.nl>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Getting CloudStack into the linux distros?
Date Thu, 10 Jan 2013 14:37:27 GMT
On 01/10/2013 03:07 PM, Chip Childers wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Since packaging is a theme yet again (and we seem to be headed in a
> direction that is useful for a distro packager), I wanted to raise the
> idea of trying to work with various Linux distros to get CloudStack
> into their official package repos.  I see the 4.1.0 release as being
> the ideal release
>
> I know that we have had various packagers represented on this list on
> and off, and I suspect that there are quite a few lurkers hanging
> around.
>
> My question to the community is: does it make sense for the Apache
> CloudStack community to reach out to various linux disto communities
> and see if they would be willing to include the software (as well as
> offer packaging help if needed)?
>
> My questions to folks that might be on this list representing
> different distros: Are you interested?  If so, how can we work with
> your community most effectively?  Last, CloudStack is obviously still
> a podling (and our release numbers still reflect "-incubating").  Is
> our graduation a prerequisite in your opinion?
>
> Thanks!

I'm honestly not sure if CloudStack is something that we want in a
distribution.

Yes, I know that Ubuntu fully adopted OpenStack and you can very easily
deploy OpenStack nodes now.

But thinking about the extra work it would bring to the project by
keeping all the packages synced. If we find a critical bug it's a lot of
work to get that all synced with the distros.

If you really want to run a cloud, how hard is it to add a repo to your
Apt/Yum configuration?

Wido