From Chip Childers <chip.child...@sungard.com>
Subject Re: [ACS41] Concerns about where development has happened
Date Tue, 15 Jan 2013 00:29:22 GMT
On Jan 14, 2013, at 7:12 PM, Jessica Tomechak
<Jessica.Tomechak@citrix.com> wrote:

> John,
> No, the Apache license doesn't appear in the published Citrix CloudPlatform documentation.
It's inside our source files, which are seen only by the writers. The published documentation
has a Citrix copyright page. I am not sure of the legal ramifications, but I know that Citrix
always intended for our doc source files (minus any Citrix-specific differences) to be part
of the ACS project.

> Still waiting to know where to post the contributions so they can be put through the
same process as the rest of that code from CP 3.0.6...

Your people.a.o personal web space, review board, attached to the
jira, or somewhere else. It's completely up to you.

> Jessica T.

outside the ASF repo - they weren't distributed in CloudPlatform with an ASF copyright header,
were they?

> On Jan 11, 2013, at 3:19 PM, Jessica Tomechak <Jessica.Tomechak@citrix.com> wrote:
>
>> The email below suggests all contributions should be made available for IP clearance
and community acceptance in some well-known location. Also, it suggests that all existing
documentation for the proposed contributions should be similarly available.

>> I have some documentation that was written outside the ACS repo. I am happy to place
it in any appropriate place for review. Where should it go? On the wiki, with the FS for the
proposed feature? Attached to the feature bug's doc subtask? Or is the "outside" code going
to be brought in through patches on Reviewboard?

>> The docs I'm referring to are in .xml files with the Apache license up top and &PRODUCT;
for the software name, and will build with the existing ACS /doc directory.

>> Jessica T.
>> CloudStack Tech Pubs

identified defects with more contextual  information and will summarize in this thread once
I am done. The list is longer than originally identified. This is obviously an important lesson
and hopefully we  will not run into similar situation in future.

>>> I also wanted to get clarification on what does community consider significant
contribution with respect to IP clearance? Is 300-400 lines of code that has gone through
community discussion but submitted in 1-2 commits considered significant?

>> "Substantial" is the term used by the process documentation.  I pointedly asked one
of our mentors for advice on defining "substantial", and the response was basically "it's
complicated" and "consider the cases individually".

>> I would suggest that we follow that advice.  We discuss each contribution, individually,
to understand what the community consensus on each one is.  If we decide that we want to accept
a contribution, and further decide that we want to take it through the IP clearance process,
we should continue with each contribution being handled separately.

>> In order to be specific in each discuss thread, we need to ensure that we have a
public location where the proposed contribution is available for review.

>> I also believe that a VOTE within the community will be required for each (after
the DISCUSS or PROPOSE thread proposing the contribution initially), before taking the process
to the IPMC.  My reason for that, is that I believe we need to begin to *act like* a responsible
TLP, even though we are still a podling.

>> -chip
>>
>>> I have looked over the Apache guidelines and markmail archive on IP clearance
process  but still  looking forward to guidance/help on IP clearance logistics from folks
who have that experience.