From John Kinsella <...@stratosec.co>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Syslog enhancements
Date Thu, 03 Jan 2013 18:36:01 GMT
Ram - my coffee's still kicking in, but that's still not clear to me.  Maybe you could put
some sample logs in the wiki? Based off what you have there right now (IP, time stamp, message
type, log level, log message) this comes already from the log4j appender.  Sample output that
I just set up by setting the syslog appender level to DEBUG and setting up my syslog daemon
on the master to accept network traffic ("-r" flag in /etc/sysconfig/syslog on centos)

Jan  3 12:33:46 localhost.localdomain DEBUG [cloud.alert.ClusterAlertAdapter] (Cluster-Notification-1:)
Receive cluster alert, EventArgs: com.cloud.cluster.ClusterNodeJoinEventArgs

Whether localhost.localdomain is an IP or resolved hostname is based on syslogd/syslog-ng
settings. Happy to write up a wiki on this (probably should anyways) but still trying to figure
out if your plan is to provide more than this...

John

On Jan 3, 2013, at 8:53 AM, Ram Ganesh <Ram.Ganesh@citrix.com> wrote:

> Alex,
>
> With this requirement CloudStack will send out events in syslog format. Apart from sending
them in SNMP format(if configured accordingly) and also in email format. Hope it is clear

> Thanks,
> Ram

o: 415.315.9385
@johnlkinsella