From Kiran Koneti <kiran.kon...@citrix.com>
Subject Regarding Base Image Updation facility(CLOUDSTACK-667).
Date Thu, 24 Jan 2013 09:13:58 GMT
Hi Hari,

I have gone through the FS of "Base Image Updation facility" located in the below mentioned
location.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Base+Image+Updation+facility

My Understandings from the FS are as below:

1)The CLOUDSTACK-745 is also dealt as a part of this requirement.

2) The purpose is that we need to be able to update existing VM with new base image.(eg:if
 I have a VM with Centos 6.2 initially I can get the Vm back with same ip and memory allocations
but still have the base Image as RHEL6.2)

3) we should have a method to reset a vm on reboot, i.e, discard the root disk and create
a new one whenever the vm is rebooted.

Below are my questions about the same:

1)Will we Support the VM reset and also the base image updation through the api and UI or
only api.

2)How are we going to specify the VM to reload with a specified Template.(will we modify the
restoreVM api by adding the template ID to it so that the Vm can boot from the new template?)

3)Extension to the above if we use the template ID will it be normal ID or UUID?

4)Adding to the question 3 if it is UUID how are we going to implement this for the Upgraded
setup from 2.2.14 to campo which doesn't have the UUID for the previously existing templates
or VM's?

5)What is the parameter we are going to implement for the service offering to decide wheatear
the VM's root disk should be discarded or not when it is rebooted.

Regards,
Kiran.