From Prasanna Santhanam <...@apache.org>
Subject [DISCUSS] refactoring the marvin integration library
Date Thu, 17 Jan 2013 09:01:56 GMT
Marvin is a great tool for simplifying test case writing. The
integration library within it over time has become slighlty unweildy
to use while adapting to the changing API nature.

In order to make test case writing quicker and somewhat intuitive I
propose to do a small refactor of the integration libraries. The
pattern I'm looking for is as follows:

Test case writers will execute a scenario using cloudmonkey verbs and
actions. The marvin library should provide a similar intuitive
interface via the integration library to compose a testcase, have it
up and running and debugged quickly.

I've put down some specific improvements in the tickets:
1) https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-980
2) https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-981
3) https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-989
4) https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-927

I will prepare a small spec for this and work on a feature branch so
as not to affect the tests that are working. Also the tests will need
to be fixed after the refactor so I will do that suite-by-suite also
in the same feature branch.

Since this is more from a test standpoint and not a release
standpoint it shouldn't affect the release schedule. But I'd like to
get it through in time so as to allow for some room to write tests
using the refactored library.

Thoughts?

--
Prasanna.,