From Sebastien Goasguen <run...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CloudStack VS OpenStack - stack wars
Date Wed, 23 Jan 2013 09:14:43 GMT
Ilya, it's a difficult one to answer on this list.

However, if you try to remain objective I would point out some reading to your management:

-Dell is holding off on openstack cloud offering:
http://www.cloudecosystem.com/author.asp?section_id=1873&doc_id=256815

-HP cloud running on openstack is considered a fork (I could not find a more recent article,
so one would need to check this):
http://www.wired.com/insights/2011/09/hp-launches-cloud-beta-dell-warns-them-on-openstack-dont-fork-it-up/

-And the gartner "warning":
http://www.gartner.com/technology/reprints.do?id=1-1C3IGID&ct=120919&st=sb

Other than that, I think the best thing to do is a 2 weeks bake off at your company to evaluate
what works best for your local constraints.

-Sebastien

On Jan 23, 2013, at 1:35 AM, "Musayev, Ilya" <imusayev@webmd.net> wrote:

> So would like to start by saying - I'm all for CS - I really like the community, what
it offers and simplicity.

> With that in mind, I need help defending CloudStack vs OpenStack to my management team.
>
> Basically I was approached by management team saying they attended an executive meeting
and there is a much greater adoption/usage rate for openstack vs cloudstack. I don't want
to mention the numbers - but they are very significant. As a point of comparison, just go
to any job site (I used linkedin job search feature) and use look for number of current opening
for cloudstack and then openstack.