From Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] Getting CloudStack into the linux distros?
Date Fri, 11 Jan 2013 19:58:12 GMT
I think we should release source tarballs and compiled binaries/artifact tarballs (a lot of
asf projects have downloaded precompiled tarballs of their artifacts, for ex. maven) as well
and leave it to packaging people (specific to a distro) how they want to work with those.

Another idea that comes to my mind is why is it necessary to create distro specific package?
While they are certainly easy to work with, why not have a tarball that say extracts to /opt
and works right away. This kind of packaging will have all the scripts and files in its own
directory like /opt/cloudstack/{bin,doc,lib,etc}. What I'm suggesting is that we publish this
kind of distro and os independent binary packaging and let distro specific package maintainers
decide how they want to package cloudstack.

Regards.

From: Hugo Trippaers [HTrippaers@schubergphilis.com]
Sent: Friday, January 11, 2013 7:28 PM
To: cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: RE: [DISCUSS] Getting CloudStack into the linux distros?

Heya,

Back at the collab conference I've been talking to some Fedora people. There is also some
interest there to get CloudStack packages.

With the "new" way of packaging we have an intermediate step between compiling, building our
code and packaging it. In doing this we could leave packaging to other parties completely.
They could work in two ways, take our source and do everything including the maven compile,
or take a "compiled" tarball and use that as the base for a package.

Cheers,

Hugo