From Sanjay Tripathi <sanjay.tripa...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] Limit Resources to domain/account
Date Thu, 17 Jan 2013 10:36:57 GMT
Comments inline

-----Original Message-----
From: Sailaja Mada
Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2013 2:39 PM
To: cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org
Cc: Sanjay Tripathi; Sailaja Mada
Subject: RE: [DISCUSS] Limit Resources to domain/account

Hi Sanjay,

Can you please clarify below questions :

1.  Requirement document @ http://wiki.cloudstack.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=16220191
 talks about " Number of times a OS template can be deployed" . I have not found the details
of this requirement in FS. Can you please clarify about the requirement ?
[Sanjay]:  For now, we are not considering "Number of times a OS template can be deployed"
requirement for this feature. I will update the requirement page with this information.

2.  Currently FS talks about limiting resources per account/project by introducing the global
configurations parameters related to Account/project limits.  Existing limits are set to unlimited
( -1) per domain. So are we going to set to unlimited per domain to the new limits as well
Or Any plans to add global config  with max limits per domain?
[Sanjay]: Going with the existing CS behavior and will set the list per domain as unlimited
for new resource types.

3.  With Regions getting introduced , Do we limit the resources per  each Region ?  Please
clarify the process wrt to Regions.
[Sanjay]: For now, we are not limiting the resources per Region basis. May be we can limit
them in future (once Region gets introduced).

4.  In the UI , currently  "Update Resource Count "   will give live data or No of accounts/volumes/instances
in the domain , Similarly No of VM's and IP addresses per account.   So do you have plans
to update live usage data for all the supported limits ?
[Sanjay]: That is correct, updateResourceCount API will update the new resource (CPU, RAM
etc.) count along with the existing resources.

5.  When it comes to Storage Limits- Primary/Secondary ,  I would assume Cloudstack will not
differentiate different type of storages  ex: iSCSI/NFS [Primary] , Object Store -S3/NFS/Swift
- Secondary . Please correct me about the assumption .  This is basically from test coverage
point of view.
[Sanjay]: We are not differentiating the Storage limits on there "type" basis.

6.  Similar to point 5 ,  Will there be any difference with hypervisors regarding CPU/RAM
resources ? I would assume no difference . This is basically from test coverage point of view.
[Sanjay]: Same as point 5, we are not differentiating the CPU/RAM resources on hypervisor
basis.

7.  Do we generate Alerts to the system when the resources allocated to domain are close to
the limits specified ?
[Sanjay]: For now, we do not generate any alerts, you can open an enhancement for this.

8.  When the instance is deployed with out CPU CAP compute offering , I would assume we still
limit CPU as per domain/account/project limits even if spare capacity available .  Yes/No
?
[Sanjay]: No

Thanks and Regards,
Sailaja.M