From John Kinsella <...@stratosec.co>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] CloudStack Marketplace Update
Date Wed, 19 Dec 2012 19:07:19 GMT
On Dec 19, 2012, at 10:10 AM, Jie Feng <Jie.Feng@citrix.com> wrote:
> 4. Disable Marketplace by default or not including any listing repository by default.
> The community in general seems to be concerned about including a third party listing
repository by default. My question is if third parties do run a listing repository, how do
we make CloudStack admins and users aware of this? And in general, how do we help folks who
build value-added offerings on top of CloudStack to reach the admins and users of the CloudStack
community? In my opinion, for an open source project to be successful, an ecosystem is very
important. My original goal is to design the Marketplace in such a way that the listings are
very easily accessible by admins and users, and have place for the ecosystem to participate
(think iPhone and iPhone apps).

This is an interesting concern - my response would be to ask "How do vendors in the Eclipse
community get potential customers to know about their 3rd party repositories?" It seems to
happen just fine. From a business perspective, you don't advertise your repo, you advertise
your awesome functionality that people will want, then when they ask how to get it, the repo
is mentioned.

So the goal of this ACS marketplace integration should be to make it as easy as possible for
a CloudStack user to either add a repo into their ACS install, or to visit a marketplace and
then get the resulting acquisition (funds may be transferred or no) into their ACS install.
If it's easy (within Apache limits), it'll get used.