From "Musayev, Ilya" <imusa...@webmd.net>
Subject RE: CentOS System Offering Thread
Date Thu, 13 Dec 2012 16:22:57 GMT
Hi Wido,

If no-one is taking ticket 451, I'll take this on. I cant assign this to myself  - so if someone
with higher privileges can do that - that would be great.

I will create CentOS 6.3 based distro with latest patches.  I'm a bit uncertain on the reason
behind using a 32bit system vs 64bit as network offering. If it's strictly from the memory
utilization perspective - as 32 bit tends to be a little lean on memory  - I understand.

What was the reason for going with 32 bit OS on Debian Squeezy and not 64?

-----Original Message-----
From: Wido den Hollander [mailto:wido@widodh.nl]
Sent: Thursday, December 13, 2012 3:20 AM
To: cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: CentOS System Offering Thread

Hi,

I created two Jira tickets about this about a month ago:
* https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-450
* https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-451

They might be worth looking at!

Wido

On 12/12/2012 05:14 AM, Musayev, Ilya wrote:
> I'd like to resurrect this thread - as the other thread got carried away into Vyatta
conversation.

> My reasoning behind this move - is due to e1000 bug that affects Debian Wheezy, vSphere
5.0 (and possibly newer 5.1) and the router VM in Advanced Network Zone. While I could spent
lots of time troubleshooting this issue - my environment is mostly RHEL/CentOS based and therefore
- it would not hurt to have multiple flavors.

> I'm also a lot more comfortable with RHEL based distros - but that just my preference.
>
> In addition, this would be a good learning experience and I plan to document on how to
create your custom system offerings. I also plan to add on more features than whats currently
available - one of them being nginx - and more to come as need arises.  The end goal is to
have an automated solution using kickstart scripts that will be easy to upgrade and built
on any platform.

> I could probably reverse engineer the existing System Offerings - but anything that could
save my time in this effort - would be truly appreciated.