From "Musayev, Ilya" <imusa...@webmd.net>
Subject RE: Router VM and Network Issue
Date Mon, 03 Dec 2012 19:44:43 GMT
Marcus,

I agree with you, except we don't drop any broadcast packets for sure on ESX. That would be
very counter productive.

Still puzzled - but you could be right - it has something to do with ARP.

Regards
ilya

-----Original Message-----
From: Marcus Sorensen [mailto:shadowsor@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, December 03, 2012 2:12 PM
To: cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Router VM and Network Issue

I don't have a vsphere environment, but it sounds a bit like an ARP issue, where perhaps the
bridge on the VMware host is filtering broadcast or something. Maybe a workaround could be
added to the system VM to make sure things are more robust, but it sounds like something in
your network is disabling the discovery of your router VM via broadcast, and when you ping
from the system vm then the MAC table on the switch is finally updated and things start working.