From Chiradeep Vittal <Chiradeep.Vit...@citrix.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS]API request throttling
Date Fri, 21 Dec 2012 19:04:28 GMT
The other usecase for throttling is during system instability and recovery
operations. E.g. Let's say there is maintenance going on in a part of the
cloud and so the operator knows that API requests are going to fail on the
backend / or create further pressure on the physical resources that they
cannot manage. In this case it is better to throttle the API requests
upfront. Requiring the admin to change a global setting via the DB does
not make sense: it has to be an admin API that can throttle everybody.

Which brings me to another question: what is the response: is it a HTTP
error code or a normal response that has to be parsed?
The reaction of most users to an error from the cloud is to re-try --
thereby making the problem worse.