From Mice Xia <weiran.x...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Scaling up CPU and RAM for running VMs
Date Wed, 19 Dec 2012 13:49:28 GMT
[David]
I am worried about the effect of this on usage statistics, but still
sounds very useful.
[/David]

Currently EVENT_VM_UPGRADE is already handled in usage server, it
records upgraded service offering into usage DB (though i cant find
any codes that persist this eventType). Maybe this can be re-used for
this feature if we only allow upgrade/downgrade between static service
offerings.

[Nitin]
Mice - Great point. But, I think when the vm is scaled up, allocators
need to be wise enough to figure out if it could be adjusted on the
same host or need live migration. I think atleast XS and Vmware
support live migration (across clusters as well) now so dynamic
scaling would have less probability of failing, but this could be an
expensive operation because migrating volumes across clusters will be
resource intensive.
[/Nitin]

yeah sometimes migration is unavoidable, memory overprovisioning is
somewhat irrelavant to this topic.

Regards
Mice