From David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Adjust JIRA to send out less mails (e.g. only about issue creation, status changes etc.)
Date Fri, 07 Dec 2012 19:17:39 GMT
On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 2:14 PM, Daniel Kulp <dkulp@apache.org> wrote:

> On Dec 6, 2012, at 4:24 AM, Wolfram Schlich <lists@wolfram.schlich.org> wrote:
>
>> Hey,
>>
>> I propose to change the ASF JIRA config for the CLOUDSTACK project
>> in a way that it doesn't send out mails to -dev on *every* change,
>> especially for description edits, comment edits, comment additions
>> etc. and only do it for important events, like issue creation,
>> status updates, assignee changes etc.
>

> Can I ask why you think comment additions are not important?    Those seem more important
to me than assignee changes and status updates.   Comments are part of the discussion about
the issue and thus belong on the dev list for all to see.

I agree with this concern.
We don't want Jira to become a silo where decisions are made and
conversations are had to the exclusion of others - there have been
plenty of conversations of late that have only happened in Jira and if
they weren't copied to the list people not subscribed to the ticket
would have missed the conversation completely. Yes it is noisy, but I
don't see a good way around it that doesn't also potentially exclude
people from discussions.

--David