From Mike Tutkowski <mike.tutkow...@solidfire.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] What can we do to help CloudStack community be more involved
Date Mon, 24 Dec 2012 19:07:48 GMT
"So here's how I'd like to address this - for the new folks (or those
thinking of contributing) - tell us, how can we make it easier for you to
dip your toes into the water? Better dev docs? Better QA instructions? More
examples on how to modify the code? Docs on things like DB schemas,
functional diagrams, data flow diagrams, what?  Please make suggestions on
how we can help you."

I am new to CloudStack and would certainly like to start contributing as
soon as possible.

I have noticed it is an extremely large project.  I've been trying to first
understand it from a user's point of view before I dive deeply into the
code.

One thing I am a bit confused about is which branch (of the many branches
out there) to focus on.  I think I should be looking at the javelin branch,
but that is not entirely clear to me.

In my particular case, I work for a block-storage company (SolidFire).
 Although I plan to do extensive development for CloudStack in general, I
first would like to start understanding the storage component of CloudStack
and how to integrate SolidFire into CloudStack.

Where do people recommend I begin?  I know there is a storage-refactoring
effort on going.  Should I help out with this effort or is this covered by
existing developers already?  I just need a little guidance as I begin, but
I am very eager to learn and participate in CloudStack development.  The
opportunity to work on CloudStack full time was a huge reason I decided to
come over to SolidFire from HP, so I am definitely excited to dig in.  It
seems like a fascinating project.

Thanks!!

--
*Mike Tutkowski*