From Chip Childers <chip.child...@sungard.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Enabling storage xenmotion on xenserver 6.1
Date Tue, 18 Dec 2012 15:37:13 GMT
On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 3:39 AM, Devdeep Singh <devdeep.singh@citrix.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> XenServer introduced support for Storage XenMotion in the latest version (6.1). Storage
XenMotion allows VMs to be moved from one host to another, where the VMs are not located on
storage shared between the two hosts. It provides the option to live migrate a VM's disks
along with the VM itself. It is now possible to migrate a VM from one resource pool to another,
or to migrate a VM whose disks are on local storage, or even to migrate a VM's disks from
one storage repository to another, all while the VM is running. More information on Storage
XenMotion can be found at [1].

> I have filed a jira request [2] to track this feature. I plan to extend the migrate vm
cloudstack api call to allow migration of instances across clusters. Do let me know your comments.

> [1] http://blogs.citrix.com/2012/08/24/storage_xenmotion/
> [2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-659
>
> Regards,
> Devdeep

+1 to this feature.

Do you have thoughts on how the API call respond when the underlying
hypervisor doesn't support this feature?