From Chip Childers <chip.child...@sungard.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] releases going forward
Date Mon, 10 Dec 2012 18:43:59 GMT
On Sat, Dec 1, 2012 at 7:12 PM, Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org> wrote:
> Late to the party here folks, and this may have been covered in one of the
> other threads about releasing. Automation is great. But all we can automate
> is the preparation of release candidates. But the voting will always be
> manual, and will always take 72 hours or more.
>
> So the question shifts to: how often do you want to spam the dev list? How
> often can the community be reasonably be expected to download the release
> candidate and go through all of the tests?

Let's not confuse the testing process that this community goes through
*before* proposing a release with the act of testing the release
candidate.  We are talking about automating the test process prior to
cutting an RC.

CloudStack requires a significant amount of infrastructure to test
completely, and has a fairly large test suite (mostly manual from my
discussions with Sudha at the conference) with which many of the test
engineers involved help us ensure that we are going to be starting
from a code branch that has a high level of functional quality .  We,
as a community, are trying to figure out how to significantly decrease
the time it takes for the test engineering community members to go
through that process.  This, in turn, will speed up the test/fix cycle
leading up to the start of RC testing.

Responding to the vote is a whole different story, and not directly
the point of all of the test automation that's being discussed
(although it might very well benefit from more automated tests as
well!).

-chip