From Chip Childers <chip.child...@sungard.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] "Future" release record in Jira to help with triage
Date Thu, 13 Dec 2012 21:24:43 GMT
Hi all,

In looking at the list of jira records that have no fix version in
them, I realize that we probably need to start triaging them on a
semi-regular basis.

In order to ensure that the triage work doesn't require looking at the
same list over and over again, I'd like to propose that we use a
technique that I've been successful with in the past.  Specifically,
creating a "Future" release to be set in the fix version fields after
we triage something.

That value will allow us to be a bit more specific between having no
fix version (yet to be triaged), having a fix version targeted and
having been looked at but not immediately identified for a specific
release target.

This gives us the benefit of being able to point new community members
that want to pick up work that nobody has started (and that might be
out of a release critical path) to Jira with a filter for "Future"
release items.  As they get to know the system, and feel confident in
a fix / or in building a feature, they would then set the fix version
for the appropriate integration window that they will be able to move
the code into.

Does this make sense to everyone?

-chip