From Chip Childers <chip.child...@sungard.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] CloudStack Marketplace Update
Date Wed, 12 Dec 2012 18:47:34 GMT
On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 12:45 PM, Jie Feng <Jie.Feng@citrix.com> wrote:
> Any inputs from others in the community?  I like to reach some consensus on where to
host the Apache listing repository in the next couple of weeks (since if we go with option
1, we need to give vendors enough time to put listings in source code prior to code freeze
end of Jan).

> Jie

Jie,

Let me start by saying that I didn't (personally) pay enough attention
to the original proposal discussion as I should have.  Sorry for that,
but I'm paying allot of attention now.

I actually need us to back up the discussion quite a bit here, and ask
some potentially obvious questions that are more intention and process
centric than specifically addressing the proposal contents.  Once we
get through these, I probably have many more followup questions about
the feature proposal itself and the technical design.  (BTW - I wasn't
able to attend your talk at Collab, so I'm reacting to only the
information that has been shared / discussed on this list)

Here it goes:

It appears that your intention is for the marketplace code to be part
of CloudStack, correct?  IMO this isn't a match for CloudStack itself,
as much as it's a different project that might be linked to by a
CloudStack deployment.  Does this actually belong as a different
project?

However, I'll assume that the answer is yes (to being part of CS) and
that it's agreed that this code belongs in the CloudStack project, and
ask some follow up questions:

You mention wanting to give vendors enough time to put listings in the
source code prior to code freeze in Jan.  Are you talking about our
CloudStack 4.1.0 feature freeze?

Is this actually under development right now?  If so, where is the
code?  Who's working on it?  How can others in the community
participate?  Where is the technical design discussion happening?  Do
we have Jira records for tracking the dev work?  Where is the
discussion about QA'ing the software happening?

Last two questions (which do tie into the proposal a little bit, but
are also high level enough to have a significant):

You seem to be proposing that the Apache CloudStack community spend
time QA'ing external vendor virtual appliances.  Am I understanding
that right?  I'm very much against this being an Apache project
activity.

There is mention of static configuration files being used to store the
product listings, and storing them as part of the CloudStack source
code repository.  This doesn't make any sense to me on a number of
fronts.  Why would a product catalog be embedded in the source code of
the store front?  Wouldn't a better design be to allow *whomever* is
hosting this software to use runtime config changes to create and
manage their product listings?

I actually think that Maven is a reasonable analogy to the
marketplace, in that maven central is a site that complements the
Apache Maven project's code.  Is this analogy something you think
holds?  If so, notice that maven central isn't hosted by ASF.  The
Apache Maven community focuses on maven itself, and the hosting of
repos is delegated to whomever wants to host it.

Thoughts?

-chip

are sure more creative than I am :)

a marketplace with templates, etc. from their partners. Providers like Contegix could populate
the marketplace with their own offerings, etc.

> I'm not so sure about turning this feature on by default in ACS, though.
> [Jie] I am thinking to turning this on by default in ACS so that it is visible immediately
to CloudStack admins after installation. This is really a way to make sure admins actually
know about the new feature. There will be a global configuration that admin can turn this
feature off entirely.

>> where to host the Apache Listing Repository a few months ago. Given
>> that additional resources will be required to create a separate
>> governance body for a community managed listing repository, hosting
>> the Apache Listing Repository within CloudStack source code tree for
>> v1.0 seems to be a more viable option. The following is an analysis of
>> pros and cons for each option. This was presented at the CloudStack
>> Collaboration Conference and feedback was that as long as the actual
>> vendor software is not open source, and vendor can continue to update
>> the image template off release cycle, option 1 (CloudStack source code tree) is fine.
>
> Separate governance body? I'm guessing what you mean here is a subset of volunteers from
the committers/PPMC, etc.?
> [Jie] Yes.
>
>>  *         Option 1. CloudStack Source Code Tree (part of CloudStack
>>  distribution)  -- proposed for v1.0
>>
>>  o   Pros: Governed by the same Apache project process; listings are
>>  tested and verified to work with each CloudStack version (just like
>> vendor plugins)
>
> I think we have our hands full testing Apache CloudStack. Trying to test third party
templates that would run on CloudStack seems like a *lot* of work.
> [Jie] I think we only need to test the listing, but not the actual templates. Otherwise,
I agree it will be too much work. How do we test vendor plugins today?

>>  o   Cons: Vendors need to sign Apache contributor license agreement
>>  (CLA); vendors cannot make changes to listing files off CloudStack
>> release cycle; new vendors and products have to wait for the next
>> CloudStack release cycle to be added
>
> I'm not sure about whether vendors would need to sign the CLA, but I'm not entirely clear
on *what* it is that we'd be providing, exactly.
> [Jie] Can you clarify more for the CLA?  I thought that anyone contributing anything
to CloudStack source code tree needs to sign CLA?  Is that true?  If we package the listing
repository in the source code tree and ship with CloudStack distribution, I assume vendors
who puts the listings there needs to sign the CLA.

> If I understand correctly, we'd be providing a pointer of some kind to images, etc. hosted
elsewhere? Obviously, we would not be able to host the images themselves given licensing/space
issues.
> [Jie] Yes, for templates/ISOs, vendor will provide a pointer to image hosted elsewhere.
We will not host it in Apache.

>>  *         Option 2. A separate listing repository hosted by the Apache
>>  CloudStack community
>
> Hosted where? How? What format is the listing going to be in? What kind of technical
requirements are we talking about?
CloudStack website? See wiki for format: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/CloudStack+Marketplace+Proposal

>>  o   Pros: Vendors do not need to sign Apache CLA; vendors can add/update
>>  listing any time with changes propagated to each Cloudstack instance
>> with Marketplace enabled
>>
>>  o   Cons: What about governance? If no governance, the listing might
>>  not work or can even contain virus. To provide governance requires us
>> to create a whole new process and need people
>
> This would also be true of Option 1, yes?
> [Jie] For option 1, we will test the listing itself as part of the Apache CloudStack
governance process we use for the source code, so that we don't need to create a separate
governance process. We can only go as far as testing the listing does not include virus. We
cannot test the templates/ISOs (too time consuming). Should this be similar to vendor plugins?
 In the case of vendor plugins, we can only test the plugins. Vendors' products can evolve
outside of CloudStack and if they put some virus in, there is no way we can govern that.

>>  *         No Apache listing repository
>
> This has my vote so far.
>
> If I understand the feature correctly, I would say the marketplace should be an optional
feature that can be turned on at compile time
> - perhaps with a configuration that lets you point to one (or more) managed marketplaces
provided by third parties. That way if a company or group wants to manage a marketplace, they
can publish the URL it can be found at and users can flip the switch to get that.
> [Jie] You are correct that there is configuration item that lets you point to one (or
more) marketplace repositories. My proposal is to turn the feature on by default as explained
above.