From Chip Childers <chip.child...@sungard.com>
Subject Re: Adding .NET/C# client to project
Date Fri, 14 Dec 2012 20:02:53 GMT
On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 11:54 AM, David Nalley <david@gnsa.us> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 6:52 AM, Donal Lafferty
> <donal.lafferty@citrix.com> wrote:
>> The library was developed in Citrix to simplify accessing the CS API from C#.  The
intent is to release code under the ASLv2.0 license.

>> The addition would follow community processes, which includes posting a feature spec
on wiki, announcing this to community, answering questions on design, proposing code for review,
and providing docs.

>> However, I wanted to know in advance how the code was going to fit in with the existing
code base.

> So you should propose such a thing. I am not sure that it should
> belong in the same repo as the core codebase.
> If we decide as a group that we do want such libraries, it might make
> better sense to make them independent repos.

We should discuss how to provide language bindings. To date, others
outside of Citrix and the Apache CloudStack community have provided
Ruby, Python, etc...  bindings.  I would suggest that we don't want
them in the repo, but perhaps in the CloudStack-Extras github
location?

> The difficulty is that this was developed external from the ASF, so
> that code would need to go through IP Clearance.

+1 - Donal, I really appreciate your point about wanting to go through
the proposal, design, jira, etc...  process.  The reality is that if
the code already exists, then those are steps that become more of a
retrofit for informational purposes only.  Any code developed outside
of the project needs to be grated through a software grant agreement
and / or IP clearance.

-chip