From Fang Wang <fang.w...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: Arch Rework RFC: API refactoring updates
Date Fri, 07 Dec 2012 23:43:53 GMT
Hi Mice,

For now, we just separate the API into 2 roles: user and admin.
The admin can be separated further into root admin, domain admin, etc. Further dynamic roles
can be added.
Once the framework is there, we can further separate the admin roles.

Per your question, there can be 2 ways to handle the domain admin requests:
- one is like you mentioned, sysadmin has separate api servers to
handle user and domain api requests separately.
- Another way is to deploy one api server, and the api server does the role base access check.
So user cann't access the domain
Admin apis., the access would be blocked and denied.  The advantage of this method is the
flexibility.
E.g, add another new domain, or a new category admin, we can dynamically deploy and apply
the roles.

Thanks,
-Fang

-----Original Message-----
From: Mice Xia [mailto:weiran.xia1@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 06, 2012 5:15 PM
To: cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Arch Rework RFC: API refactoring updates

rohit,

i asked this question because requests from domain admins are usually from outside of datacenter
for a public cloud.

so artifact built from user package can be directly deployed as a user api server and serve
user requests. but to serve domain admin request, sysadmin has to prepare another api server
with another set of apis, which is a sub set of admin package, is this correct?

sent from phone, sorry for typos.

mice

在 2012年12月7日星期五,Rohit Yadav <rohit.yadav@citrix.com> 写道:

> On 06-Dec-2012, at 4:29 PM, Mice Xia <mice_xia@tcloudcomputing.com> wrote:
>
>> [quote]
>> 1. Moved and classified all apis (except the anomalies, see other
>> email)
into namespace org.apache.cloudstack.api 2. There are two packages, admin and user in which
the APIs are grouped based on security level. Note; APIs are not grouped based on roles.
>> - Because of 1,2,3; there would be two classes of API server. The
>> first
one would be available for users, the user API server which would handle requests from network
outside the datacenter which Alex refers to as "over the wire" requests. The second one would
be available for sysadmins, the mgmt API server which would handle requests from admins/sysadmins
within the datacenter;
>> [/quote]
>>
>> I haven’t seen the codes, just one question.
>> If the intention is to deploy API server separately based on the
security level, where are APIs enabled for domain-admin located? In the user package or in
the admin package?

> The admin package. For domain-admin etc. the sysadmin would run mgmt
servers with different sets of apis s/he wants to provide for a domain admin. There won't
be any pre configured set of apis, this would allow a system admin to decide exactly what
level of access s/he wants to provide to a domainadmin role user. This allows him/her to create
multiple end points of mgmt server as well, just like the user api server.

> Regards.
>

>> Regards
>> Mice

the APIs are grouped as per api affinity (for ex. all vm related ones in vm pkg).
>> 4. Few usage related APIs could not be moved from cloud-server to
cloud-api, as they are tightly coupled with classes available in cloud-server.
>> 5. commands.properties is fixed.
>> 6. Checked, the api_refactoring merges fine with a minor merge
conflicts. The build on the branch is broken, would be fixed soon.

>> I request that if you're adding any new class, please use the
>> namespace
org.apache.cloudstack.

>> Road ahead:
>> - Because of 1,2,3; there would be two classes of API server. The
>> first
one would be available for users, the user API server which would handle requests from network
outside the datacenter which Alex refers to as "over the wire" requests. The second one would
be available for sysadmins, the mgmt API server which would handle requests from admins/sysadmins
within the datacenter;

>> user API server would use only the org.apache.cloudstack.api.user
artifact admin API server would use both org.apache.cloudstack.api.admin and org.apache.cloudstack.api.user
Based on the arch. rework docs, ppts, talks, Alex's idea was to separate api based on security
level would give ultimate isolation.

>> - Separate out cloud-api, and make it run as a separate web app like
awsapi.
>> - Annotations and separation of API based on api affinity would help
automate apidoc generation, api discovery over an api endpoint, so clients (UI or cloudmonkey
etc.) would be able to discover
>> - The commands.properties syntax is horrible, I want to get rid of
>> the
evil syntax by having an apiname annotation for all API Cmd classes and the API server would
be able to load this info during runtime. In commands.properties, we should be just able to
set policy for user role for each api, if apiname is not declared it's blacklisted. It becomes
tricky with plugins. I don't know how to get it right the first time, but let's try.
>> - ACL and security checking at API layer, the requests would be just
passed to (multiple) cloud-engine which won't handle them, as that will only orchestrate.
>> - Roles would be decided from commands.properties. Multiple API
>> servers
can be run with different combination of rules in commands.properties. This would allow separation
of policy from mechanism, and multiple roles and end points. For example, an admin can create
http routers for these api server,
user api servers with different set of whitelisted apis.

--
Sent from Gmail Mobile