From sebgoa <run...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] CloudStack Marketplace Update
Date Wed, 19 Dec 2012 16:28:29 GMT

On Dec 19, 2012, at 5:07 PM, Chip Childers wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 11:02 AM, sebgoa <runseb@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to help bring this thread to consensus.
>> I re-read the wiki: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/CloudStack+Marketplace+Proposal
>>
>> The biggest issues that I believe drew concerns are:
>> 1-Mention of an Apache CloudStack listing repository
>> 2-Mention of including a listing repository in the source code.
>>
>> To keep it short, we don't want to become liable for any image that a CloudStack
user would run on its cloud. We also don't want the source code to contain anything that would
be seen as product placement from any vendors.

>> That said if the wiki page was modified to remove the mention of "an apache cloudstack
listing repository" and "inclusion in source code" and geared more towards contributing a
plugin that would enable cloudstack users to link to a third party marketplace if they so
desired. Then this would be agreeable.

>> I also believe this should be "disabled" by default with empty "listing repositories".
>>
>> If this is agreeable, Jie Feng and co. could run a marketplace on their own and Cloudstack
users could link to it. I could also work with the opennebula folks to make the plugin generic
enough to tie to their marketplace.

>> Thoughts ? (not too many flames, it's christmas soon :) )
>>
>> -Sebastien
>>

> I'm +1 to most of the above.
>
> One follow up comment that I'd like further discussion on, is the
> necessity of having users go to a marketplace page vs extending the VM
> provisioning GUI to support a more robust collection of template
> sources (and supporting material).

Yes, I will take this as a requirement.

Note that a marketplace can extend beyond just images (as described in Jie's proposal, SaaS
offerings etc...). If it does then it would not lend itself nicely within the existing template
listing or in the VM provisioning UI during instantiation.