From Donal Lafferty <donal.laffe...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: Feature proposals and testing
Date Sun, 23 Dec 2012 11:57:39 GMT
Okay, so here's a question on reuse.

Are there sample hypervisor control commands in the code base?

At the moment, I dump JSON versions of commands to log, and use this JSON as the basis of
my unit tests.  To save time, I'd like access to permutations of existing command objects
and the sequence that they're called in.  E.g. for new VM you should see a CreateCommand before
a StartCommand.

Can anyone point to a map or list of reusable tests in the code base?  For now, reuse in the
sense of copy/paste/hack would suffice.

DL

-----Original Message-----
From: David Nalley [mailto:david@gnsa.us]
Sent: 22 December 2012 12:17 AM
To: cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Feature proposals and testing

Hi folks:

I've seen a number of feature proposals coming through in the past week. Almost universally
there seems to be almost zero discussion of testing for the proposed features.

I personally, do not consider a feature to complete without a plan to test - and almost certainly
in automated test format via marvin. For most features I'd also consider it incomplete without
significant unit test coverage.

Please make sure you have a plan that focuses on testing all these wonderful new features
you are writing.

--David