From Jie Feng <Jie.F...@citrix.com>
Subject CloudStack Marketplace Update
Date Mon, 10 Dec 2012 23:05:15 GMT
The CloudStack Marketplace Wiki https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/CloudStack+Marketplace+Proposal
has been updated with the following: more details, design choices, link to the Collaboration
Conference slides, and feedbacks and questions I got from the conference. Many thanks to those
who attended my presentation and provided feedback. Some of feedbacks are still yet to be
worked into the design (for example, the listing file format will take into consideration
of other open source cloud marketplaces out there).

We had some early discussions in the mailing list regarding where to host the Apache CloudStack
listing repository and what to name this feature. I included various options in the wiki (also
see below), my proposal for v1.0, and feedbacks I got from the Collaboration Conference attendees.
Comments, suggestions, flames?

Thanks.

Jie

Listing Repository a few months ago. Given that additional resources will be required to create
a separate governance body for a community managed listing repository, hosting the Apache
Listing Repository within CloudStack source code tree for v1.0 seems to be a more viable option.
The following is an analysis of pros and cons for each option. This was presented at the CloudStack
Collaboration Conference and feedback was that as long as the actual vendor software is not
open source, and vendor can continue to update the image template off release cycle, option
1 (CloudStack source code tree) is fine.

[cid:image001.jpg@01CDD6E7.C1481AD0]

What should be the name of this new component?

This has been discussed on the cloudstack-dev mailing list. There has not been overwhelming
response to any of the names. "Marketplace" was proposed because it is well known and used
by multiple commercial cloud providers, and this is different enough from "Template" in the
left navigation so that no confusion will be caused. During the CloudStack Collaboration Conference,
"Catalog" was brought up as a potential alternative because there is currently no plan to
handle $ transaction by the marketplace feature.

[cid:image002.png@01CDD6E7.C1481AD0]