From Animesh Chaturvedi <animesh.chaturv...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] Adjust JIRA to send out less mails (e.g. only about issue creation, status changes etc.)
Date Fri, 07 Dec 2012 23:05:45 GMT

I see your point, sending emails with every change to issue certainly keeps every- one in
the loop, but are folks  interested in all the minor comments that go through issue life-cycle?
 In my opinion bug tracker should not turn into discussion forum.  The comments if any  with
respect to issues in bug tracker should be limited to information that will converge soon
like steps to reproduce an issue or asking for more details , however if comments turn into
philosophical issues about bug's scope  or software's behavior, I would say other developers
will want to be involved. This generally leads to a wider discussion and would diverge for
some time before it converges and mailing lists are better suited for this communication.
 Let that communication be brought to the mailing list and when it converges a link to the
thread should be provided in the issue with summary of conclusion.

Moving Jira to separate mailing list may be a solution but any issue that requires wider discussion
should still be brought to main mailing list

Animesh

-----Original Message-----
From: Joe Brockmeier [mailto:jzb@zonker.net]
Sent: Friday, December 07, 2012 11:20 AM
To: cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Adjust JIRA to send out less mails (e.g. only about issue creation,
status changes etc.)

On Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 12:52 PM, Animesh Chaturvedi wrote:

> I agree this helps in making communication from Jira more effective.
> David, Joe do you have administrator privileges to adjust the
> notification emails from Jira?

I'm actually -1 on this.

I see comments coming from Jira as being important, and I don't see that anyone who *may*
be interested in an issue automatically setting it to "watch" or whatever based on the initial
ticket.

I seem to recall a proposal to move Jira messages to a separate list, which might be an acceptable
substitute - but there should be a list where all Jira messages are sent.

The problem about accidental changes to Jira sounds really annoying, but that should be reported
to the Atlassian folks rather than doing a workaround that means people subscribed to the
list won't see important additions to tickets.

Best,

jzb

--
Joe Brockmeier