From Sudha Ponnaganti <sudha.ponnaga...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: [DISSCUSS][Unit Test] About class-level unit test
Date Wed, 19 Dec 2012 16:10:08 GMT
Howie,

Also if you find  unit testing 101 is outdated, pl do update it  if you don't mind so future
developers can benefit
http://wiki.cloudstack.org/display/COMM/Unit+Testing+101

thanks
/Sudha

-----Original Message-----
From: Chip Childers [mailto:chip.childers@sungard.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 19, 2012 8:05 AM
To: cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: [DISSCUSS][Unit Test] About class-level unit test

On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 9:51 PM, howie_yu@trend.com.tw <howie_yu@trend.com.tw> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I am a new one want to have some contribution for this community.
>
> Recently, I was tracing source code and write some plugin for cloudstack.
>
> But  it's very difficult for debug and testing in cloudstack environment.
>
> Because cloudstack's IoC is write by componentLocator, I cannot write
> unit test by something like  @RunWith(SpringJunit4ClassRunner.class)
>
> Although  , I have seen Unit test 101 in
> (http://wiki.cloudstack.org/display/COMM/Unit+Testing+101)
> I want to test against all or most of the components, should I do this
> using unit testing
>
> No.  Unit testing is for specific testing to force issues to come up
> early.  If you need to entire components.xml or components-premium.xml
> for your tests,
>
> what you really need is to start a server and have a predefined set of testcases run
as the web client.  That's not part of the unit testing.

> We need to develop other means to do that.  Once completed, we'll make this known on
this page.

>  But it make no sense to me.
>
> While  I google it , find some interest topic about unit test for
> cloudstack (http://collab12.cloudstack.org/schedule/presentation/8/)
>
> Is anyone can share this slide to me? Or where can I find further information?

There really weren't any slides.  It was supposed to be a group of folks writing more unit
tests, which some did.  In the end, it became a junit / mockito 101 discussion as well.  Again
through, no slides.

Any help / patch submissions that add more unit tests to the project are VERY appreciated.
 Your points about what a proper unit test should do are valid, and have been generally agreed
on via this email list.  If you'd like to help, take a class that's simpler and feel free
to write unit tests for it.  We've been using Mockito where required, so feel free to use
it if necessary.