From John Kinsella <...@stratosec.co>
Subject Re: new storage framework update
Date Fri, 28 Dec 2012 19:39:31 GMT
Great writeup! On the wiki page, are "motion" and "migration" interchangeable?

John

On Dec 27, 2012, at 6:41 PM, Edison Su <Edison.su@citrix.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>     Before heading into holiday, I'd like to update the current status of the new storage
framework since last collab12.
>    1. Class diagram of primary storage is evolved: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/download/attachments/30741569/storage.jpg?version=1&modificationDate=1356640617613
>          Highlight the current design:
>          a.  One storage provider can cover multiple storage protocols for multiple hypervisors.
The default storage provider can almost cover all the current primary storage protocols. In
most of cases, you don't need to write a new storage provider, what you need to do is to write
a new storage configurator. Write a new storage provider needs to write a lot of code, which
we should avoid it as much as possible.
>         b. A new type hierarchy, primaryDataStoreConfigurator, is added. The configurator
is a factory for primaryDataStore, which assemble StorageProtocolTransformer, PrimaryDataStoreLifeCycle
and PrimaryDataStoreDriver for PrimaryDataStore object, based on the hypervisor type and the
storage protocol.  For example, for nfs primary storage on xenserver, there is a class called
XenNfsConfigurator, which put DefaultXenPrimaryDataStoreLifeCycle, NfsProtocolTransformer
and DefaultPrimaryDataStoreDriverImpl into DefaultPrimaryDataStore. One provider can only
have one configurator for a pair of hypervisor type and storage protocol. For example, if
you want to add a new nfs protocol configurator for xenserver hypervisor, you need to write
a new storage provider.
>        c. A new interface, StorageProtocolTransformer, is added. The main purpose of
this interface is to handle the difference between different storage protocols. It has four
methods:
>             getInputParamNames: return a list of name of parameters for a particular
protocol. E.g. NFS protocol has ["server", "path"], ISCSI has ["iqn", "lun"] etc. UI shouldn't
hardcode these parameters any more.
>             normalizeUserInput: given a user input from UI/API, need to validate the
input, and break it apart, then store them into database
>             getDataStoreTO/ getVolumeTO: each protocol can have its own volumeTO and
primaryStorageTO. TO is the object will be passed down to resource, if your storage has extra
information you want to pass to resource, these two methods are the place you can override.
>        d. All the time-consuming API calls related to storage is async.
>
>       2. Minimal functionalities are implemented:
>            a. Can register a http template, without SSVM
>            b. Can register a NFS primary storage for xenserver
>            c. Can download a template into primary storage directly
>           d. Can create a volume from a template
>
>       3. All about test:
>           a. TestNG test framework is used, as it can provide parameter for each test
case. For integration test, we need to know ip address of hypervisor host, the host uuid(if
it's xenserver), the primary storage url, the template url etc. These configurations are better
to be parameterized, so for each test run, we don't need to modify test case itself, instead,
we provide a test configuration file for each test run. TestNG framework already has this
functionality, I just reuse it.
>           b. Every pieces of code can be unit tested, which means:
>                 b.1 the xcp plugin can be unit tested. I wrote a small python code, called
mockxcpplugin.py, which can directly call xcp plugin.
>                 b.2 direct agent hypervisor resource can be tested. I wrote a mock agent
manger, which can load and initialize hypervisor resource, and also can send command to resource.
>                 b.3 a storage integration test maven project is created, which can test
the whole storage subsystem, such as create volume from template, which including both image
and volume components.
>           A new section, called "how to test", is added into https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Storage+subsystem+2.0,
please check it out.

>      The code is on the javelin branch, the maven projects whose name starting from cloud-engine-storage-*
are the code related to storage subsystem. Most of the primary storage code is in cloud-engine-storage-volume
project.
>       Any feedback/comment is appreciated.

o: 415.315.9385
@johnlkinsella