From Hari Kannan <hari.kan...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: Functional Specification for the multiple IPs per NIC
Date Wed, 19 Dec 2012 00:15:03 GMT
Regarding " User can specify the  IP address from the guest subnet  if not CS picks the IP
from the guest subnet " comment in the FS

I don't see a need to do this - because, it is a shared network, how does he know what is
used up and what is not? So, he could go through a sequence of steps only to get an error
message back that it is not possible (and keep doing this until success)

One possibility is telling him what is available - it may not be a big deal to reveal the
used/unused IPs in isolated network (although it would be hard to show from a large CIDR what
is used/available), but we wont even be able to tell him what is used/unused in a shared network
-

Any thoughts?

Hari Kannan

-----Original Message-----
From: John Kinsella [mailto:jlk@stratosec.co]
Sent: Tuesday, December 18, 2012 10:36 AM
To: cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Functional Specification for the multiple IPs per NIC

Is there any logic behind 30? At some point, we're going to be asked, so I'd like to have
a decent answer. :)

On the rest of this, I'd like to get some level of consensus on the design. What looks best
to me:
* Improve UserData/CloudInit support in CloudStack (I'm willing to work on this, consider
it important) - allow expiration of data, wider variety of data supported
* Create the multi-IPs-per-NIC code to get IPs via CloudInit (Need to think through Windows
equivalent)
* Update the password changing script to use CloudInit

Thoughts? Or Jayapal have you already started work on the multi-IP feature?

On Dec 18, 2012, at 2:03 AM, Jayapal Reddy Uradi <jayapalreddy.uradi@citrix.com> wrote:

> Regarding IP limit,  it can be made as configurable using global settings and default
value will be 30.

> Thanks,
> Jayapal

o: 415.315.9385