From Pranav Saxena <pranav.sax...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] Opennebula marketplace integration
Date Thu, 27 Dec 2012 14:32:48 GMT
[Sebastien] - Was the page updated to take into account all the discussions that happened on
the ML ?

Also what is in this feature branch ? I believe it was created before we had all the discussions.
Does it contain the core marketplace code and the repo listings components ? It should only
contain the "client"/plugin side.

[Pranav] -  Yes , Sebastien . So currently we just have a very basic client /plugin side code
which creates a tab for marketplace tab on the cloudstack UI . Clicking on that would point
to a new user interface which fetches the content and images/thumbnails dynamically from dummy
config files . You can imagine it as a tile-like structure displaying N number of applications
uploaded by each user.  It does NOT  contain any core marketplace code.

Regards,
Pranav

-----Original Message-----
From: sebgoa [mailto:runseb@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 27, 2012 7:56 PM
To: Pranav Saxena
Cc: cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Opennebula marketplace integration

On Dec 27, 2012, at 3:12 PM, Pranav Saxena wrote:

> Thanks Sebastien for the update ! The plan looks great .
>
> The marketplace plugin we were developing for Cloudstack is in our feature branch - asf/marketplace-prototype
and we have the basic prototype working for which the details about its structure are there
on Jie's marketplace proposal page .

Was the page updated to take into account all the discussions that happened on the ML ?

Also what is in this feature branch ? I believe it was created before we had all the discussions.
Does it contain the core marketplace code and the repo listings components ? It should only
contain the "client"/plugin side.

> We need to improve upon its design and customized looks. Please let us know if we could
 help you out in whatsoever ways possible.

> Merry Christmas and a very happy new year to you !
>
> Regards,
> Pranav

the repositories should be placed somewhere outside of the Apache repository.

> The marketplace "client" could be submitted to the Apache repo with the concept of a
marketplace plugin.

> I informed the Opennebula guys of this development and pointed them to Jie's wiki page
and the threads discussing Marketplace. I hope to get them engaged in actual testing and development
after the new year.

> I hope that before feature freeze of 4.1 we can have a marketplace "plugin" with demonstrated
use of "Jie's" marketplace as well as the opennebula marketplace. This would make for a very
nice story and would be a nice ecosystem.

> Cheers,
>
> -Sebastien
>

> On Dec 26, 2012, at 11:53 AM, Pranav Saxena wrote:
>
>> Hi Sebastien/Jie ,
>>
>> Any update on where are we currently on building up a marketplace for cloudstack
?  Community consensus ?

>> @ Sebastien  - As you suggested , is there any update from the OpenNebula guys  ?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Pranav

into CloudStack. The more we can do to enable products and services for our Cloudstack users,
the better. Since Opennebula listings are all templates, you can build hooks directly into
the CloudStack Template UI, or into CloudStack Marketplace (once we have consensus).

>> There are a few things to think about to build hooks into the CloudStack UI, as I
have gone through those when I was thinking about the CS Marketplace feature:

>> 1. Who can import the listings/templates?
>> 2. Who owns the listing?  In CloudStack, templates have to belong to an account.
When I designed CS Marketplace, I made the listing ownerless.
>> 3. What is the UI for admin and user?
>> 4. What listing items user can see?  For example, the template might be for KVM,
where the cloud only supports XenServer/VMware. Do you filter it out? For CS Marketplace,
I don't filter it out since I can group multiple templates into one listing entry, and user
can pick which one to instantiate.