From Pranav Saxena <pranav.sax...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS]API request throttling
Date Fri, 21 Dec 2012 23:49:57 GMT
A proper error code is certainly seems to be the standard . Just for an example , Twitter uses
the same for handling their API throttling response errors as well  (https://dev.twitter.com/docs/rate-limiting
) . The back-off algorithm discussion I was referring to was for handling automatic  triggering
of blocked requests  but I could not think of a scenario where it might be useful for cloudstack
to have such a functionality . 	Any ideas /suggestions?

Regards,
Pranav

-----Original Message-----
From: Alex Huang [mailto:Alex.Huang@citrix.com]
Sent: Saturday, December 22, 2012 12:51 AM
To: cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: RE: [DISCUSS]API request throttling

> Which brings me to another question: what is the response: is it a
> HTTP error code or a normal response that has to be parsed?
> The reaction of most users to an error from the cloud is to re-try --
> thereby making the problem worse.

A proper error code is the right way to do it.  It only makes the problem worse if it causes
the system to behave poorly so we have to design this feature such that processing it doesn't
cause considerable performance/scale problem in the system.  One possibility is a backoff
algorithm (saw some discussion about it but wasn't sure if it was for this), where we hold
off the response if it continues to send requests, in effect choking the client.

--Alex