From Pranav Saxena <pranav.sax...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] Opennebula marketplace integration
Date Thu, 20 Dec 2012 01:50:18 GMT
John ,

What I meant was that I'll ask Jie to look more exclusively into this issue and have Brian
as well express his opinion on the same on the mailing list itself so that we can collaborate
on the work for marketplace integration with Sebastien moving forward. As you have seen ,
Jie has already given a detailed explanation of what the idea is behind creating  a marketplace
and what sort of issues we can run into while integrating it.

Pranav

-----Original Message-----
From: John Kinsella [mailto:jlk@stratosec.co]
Sent: Wednesday, December 19, 2012 11:45 PM
To: cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Opennebula marketplace integration

Is there some reason this can't be discussed on the mailing list?

John

On Dec 19, 2012, at 9:49 AM, Pranav Saxena <pranav.saxena@citrix.com> wrote:

> Hi Sebastien ,
>
> This does makes sense and perhaps seems to be the most logical approach to integrate
marketplace . I 'll be initiating some more discussions on the same with Jie and Brian and
thereafter we can have a plugin code available on github , as very rightly mentioned by you
, unless we can think off some other alternative solution.

> Regards,
> Pranav

, we can provide you/leads of Opennebula  with that since we already have it developed for
the actual Cloudstack marketplace I was working on and make it point to the OpenNebula Marketplace
by modifying the URL  .

>> But first the question arises , is the community in favor of this ? Last time there
were some issues on the ML regarding integration of marketplace and I reckon ,  we are yet
to reach a consensus.

> Hi Pranav,
>
> You are right in that the other marketplace thread has not yet reached consensus. We
need to bring it to consensus.
> I will reply to it.
>
> My understanding though is that folks are in favor of marketplaces in general but that
the code of such marketplace should not be in the cloudstack code. That means that you could
put your marketplace code on github but commit the "hooks" to it in cloudstack. In a very
similar fashion that we have several storage backends.

> Where it links to opennebula's marketplace is if your hooks can be used to connect to
their marketplace. That'd be great.

> Does that make sense ?
>
> -Sebastien
>

>> Regards,
>> Pranav

are interested to integrate their marketplace with CloudStack.

>> The concept is to leave the marketplace itself where it is and develop hooks/plugins
in CloudStack to import images from the marketplace into a CloudStack deployment.

>> A user would set a global settings 'marketplace' to the opennebula marketplace server.
This would in turn display the images that are in the marketplace within the template UI.

>> Thoughts ?
>>
>> -Sebastien

o: 415.315.9385
@johnlkinsella