From Pranav Saxena <pranav.sax...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: '[PROPOSAL]' Third party plugins
Date Thu, 13 Dec 2012 06:06:28 GMT

[Chip] For logistical reasons, I'd like to understand what we mean by "being worked on for
the next release of CloudStack".  Are you saying that you are planning to be code complete
by the end of January for the 4.1 feature freeze?  Is the coding in-progress?  If so, which
feature branch is it in?

[Pranav]  - The implementation for this feature is just started . We were having some mock
discussions between ourselves regarding the basic prototype . Brian is going to create a feature
branch for this pretty soon and start the development on that branch. He has a basic prototype
working which he's going to push on the feature branch soon and let the community review it
and suggest any amendments , if required . This does not seem to be a very huge feature ,
so we are assuming that we shall be able to code complete it by Jan end for the 4.1 feature
freeze.

Regards,
Pranav

-----Original Message-----
From: Chip Childers [mailto:chip.childers@sungard.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 12, 2012 9:29 PM
To: cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org
Cc: Brian Federle; Pranav Saxena
Subject: Re: '[PROPOSAL]' Third party plugins

On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 7:01 PM, Sonny Chhen <Sonny.Chhen@citrix.com> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I would like to discuss a new feature that is being worked on for the next release of
CloudStack. It is the ability to add third party plugins into CloudStack while still utilizing
the current ui. The procedure in which this would occur is as follows:

> 1.       The developer  will write a plugin that they would like to add into CloudStack
>
> 2.        Using a predetermined file hierarchy we create, the developer will place their
plugin within the folder structure and fill out a plugin.js file

> 3.       The admin will then place this folder into the existing CloudStack "plugin"
>
> 4.       The admin will then add this new listing onto the plugin.js file that lies within
that folder

> 5.       The user then just has to refresh the browser and the plugin will be available
to use.

> We will be toying with the idea of adding a plugin button to the navigation so that the
user can see what plugins have been installed and click on them to access them.

> Please see the link below for more information.
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/download/attachments/30744936/plug
> in.jpg
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/3rd+Party+Plugi
>
> Thoughts, comments, suggestions?
>
> Thanks You and Best Regards,
>
> Sonny H. Chhen
> Manager of User Interface & User Experience | Citrix Systems -
> CloudPlatform
> 4988 Great America Parkway, Santa Clara, CA  95054, USA

Thanks for sharing Sonny.  I'm +1 on this concept!

For logistical reasons, I'd like to understand what we mean by "being worked on for the next
release of CloudStack".  Are you saying that you are planning to be code complete by the end
of January for the 4.1 feature freeze?  Is the coding in-progress?  If so, which feature branch
is it in?

Thanks!

-chip