From John Burwell <jburw...@basho.com>
Subject Re: Merge request: Merging api_refactoring on master
Date Sat, 22 Dec 2012 14:50:12 GMT
Chip/Rohit,

Does this API refactoring include recent API additions such as auto
scale and S3?

Thanks,
-John

On Dec 22, 2012, at 9:26 AM, Chip Childers <chip.childers@sungard.com> wrote:

> So it sounds like a ton of good work.
>
> However, the proposed merge also sounds like it breaks public API
> compatibility with 4.0.0 in both the uuid / id changes and in the list
> result changes.
>
> So I guess this is my first question: does the community agree that
> the benefits of these changes outweigh the concerns about moving
> straight from 4.0.0 to 5.0.0?
>
> Rohit, I think we HAVE to have concerns us on that question before
> this merge happens.
>
> - chip
>
> Sent from my iPhone.
>
> On Dec 22, 2012, at 4:38 AM, Rohit Yadav <rohit.yadav@citrix.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I'm planning to merge api_refactoring branch on to master after 72 hour period which
would be Monday EOD. Pl. go through the email, and previous threads on api refactoring rework
and feel free to share your ideas, comments and vote to agree, disagree. If no one objects
I would like to ask the git Santa to merge it on Christmas 25 Dec :D (after 72 hour window)

>> The reason why I want to merge around the next week is because I think we would have
lower frequencies of emails, review requests and people contributing, hence I can move around
a lot of code (mostly package renames to org.apache.cloudstack in cloud-api) and right now
the merge conflicts are really minimum, about 100-200 lines. (A top level issues to track
sub-issues: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-638)

>> What will be affected:
>> 0. Any class in cloud-api and on api-layer only
>> 1. Any class that imports from/to cloud-api's response and cmd classes
>>
>> Some of the major changes that will be merged on master;
>> 0. Over the wire (OTW) HTTP request to API server would send only UUID strings. All
requests done via UUIDs (and not CloudStack's internal db's IDs).
>> 1. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-518 Fix @Parameter annotation
to have annotation field to a Response class which would give us entities (interface to VO
objects). This would get rid of all IdentityMapper using which was used earlier to get VO
entities from an annotated table name. This helps us to translate OTW UUIDs to CloudStack's
DB's internal IDs.
>> 2. Separation of ACL Role access checker as an adapter, so organizations can implement
their own role based access checking. The mechanism would exist in CloudStack's API server
but policy checking is moved out of CloudStack. (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-639)
This works, but was tough to get it right the first time, there is better way which I'll share
before the merge.
>> 3. Group APIs to org.apache.cloudstack.api.{command,response}.{entity1,entity2 etc.}
packages. This is mainly done for developers, so when they work on API layer they would know
which api has what level of security and as they are grouped based on entity type, it will
be easier to search. This was mostly file movement to org.apache.cloudstack.api package and
helped us track couple of classes which are no longer needed. Another aim was to move from
com.cloud to org.apache.cloudstack (only cloud-api for now).
>> 4. Annotation work as described in 1., also for @ACL etc.
>> 5. DB, ACL validation wip code
>> 6. A lot of list api optimizations and response view work from our newest commiter,
Min Chen. The aim is to simply response, right now for. example when we listVMs we don't want
unnecessary (serialized) response objects which could be queried using uuids separately.

>> Pl. ask away any doubts, questions and concerns you may have. It was challenging
for me as well to understand the functional spec, to know the why/what/how, and if you read
the old threads you can tell I did not get it the first time.

>> A lot of annotation work is aimed to be completed over this weekend, so when the
branch is finally merged it won't break any functionality. At present the branch is quite
stable

>> Testing and how or why do it?
>> 0. Prasanna, Meghna? can help us write few basic sets of unit tests and marvin integration
tests for OTW requests. We already have few of their patches on rb.
>> 1. We can also have drivers to automate tests (Prasanna can talk more on this and
on his devcloud based continuous intergration server)
>> 2. If I do it now, there would be a lot more eyes to point out bugs and I want more
people to participate in the refactoring work.
>> 3. Right now, it builds and runs fine with minimal breaks and no functionality breakage
as most of the changes are only restricted to api-server (:cloud-api artifact). I'm able to
deploy a zone etc. To make the UUID thing work, I've put in hardcoded (for. ex. projectId=-1
which should be a string uuid not a long int value -1) stuff that saves the UI from being
broken which I'll remove after merging on master so UI engineers can help fix UI issues.

>> Lastly, I would like to thank Min for her amazing patches and optimization work,
Prachi for her work on ACL, Fang, Prasanna, Likitha for their help with the refactoring work
and for their contributions. Community for asking questions, raising issues and thanks to
Alex for his guidance, reviews and kickass OOP concepts.