From Sebastien Goasguen <run...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] CloudStack Marketplace Update
Date Wed, 12 Dec 2012 22:32:20 GMT

On Dec 12, 2012, at 11:17 PM, Chip Childers <chip.childers@sungard.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 12:45 PM, Jie Feng <Jie.Feng@citrix.com> wrote:
>> Any inputs from others in the community?  I like to reach some consensus on where
to host the Apache listing repository in the next couple of weeks (since if we go with option
1, we need to give vendors enough time to put listings in source code prior to code freeze
end of Jan).

>> Jie
>>

> A general observation...
>
> If this is part of a cloudstack install, then why aren't we simply
> extending the list of available templates that users can chose from to
> include those that may start out at a remote location (but may be
> cached by CloudStack after the first use).  Why not also extend the
> template meta-data to include optional details like what's provided in
> the listing material?
>
> If an admin is already deciding on which templates would be listed in
> the marketplace, why wouldn't they simply be listed in the global
> template list?  It seems confusing to have to curate two different
> sets of templates (marketplace and available for immediate
> provisioning).
>
> -chip

Couple thoughts,

A while back when the marketplace idea came up, I mentioned the opennebula marketplace. It
may be good to have a look at it again: http://opennebula.org/documentation:rel3.8:marketplace

Basically it is a service, external to an opennebula deployment, that an admin can point to,
in order to offer users templates published by the community. The marketplace itself only
manages meta-data associated with each image.

In my mind, I see it as a separate project. I probably don't understand the entire concept
of the existing proposal for the CS marketplace, but having "vendor" information in our Apache
code base is worrisome.

PS: BTW, A huge issue with marketplaces is how to trust images. How do you vet an image ?

-Sebastien