From Prasanna Santhanam <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: proper way to fetch system vms
Date Wed, 19 Dec 2012 18:40:52 GMT
On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 01:30:16PM -0500, James Martin wrote:
> The context of this document is building the devcloud vm that exists
> in tools/devcloud
>
> So I've noticed there are at least 2 documented ways to get the
> console proxy and ssvm.
>
> 1)
>
> As document in the original devcloud creation build scripts ( and done
> in the current puppet scripts)
>
>         wget http://download.cloud.com/templates/devcloud//defaulttemplates/1/dc68eb4c-228c-4a78-84fa-b80ae178fbfd.vhd
> -P /opt/storage/secondary/template/tmpl/1/1/
>         wget http://download.cloud.com/templates/devcloud//defaulttemplates/1/template.properties
> -P /opt/storage/secondary/template/tmpl/1/1/
>         wget http://download.cloud.com/templates/devcloud/defaulttemplates/5/ce5b212e-215a-3461-94fb-814a635b2215.vhd
> -P /opt/storage/secondary/template/tmpl/1/5/
>         wget http://download.cloud.com/templates/devcloud//defaulttemplates/5/template.properties
> -P /opt/storage/secondary/template/tmpl/1/5/
>

> 2) As documented in:
>
> http://rohityadav.in/logs/devcloud/ :
>
> "Preseed the SystemVM templates in /opt/storage/secondary, follow
> directions from here. Configure NFS server and local storage."
>
> here points to this link:
>
> http://incubator.apache.org/cloudstack/docs/en-US/Apache_CloudStack/4.0.0-incubating/html/Installation_Guide/management-server-install-flow.html#prepare-system-vm-template
>
> Which says to use:
>
>  For XenServer:
>
> /usr/lib64/cloud/common/scripts/storage/secondary/cloud-install-sys-tmplt
> -m /mnt/secondary -u
> http://download.cloud.com/templates/acton/acton-systemvm-02062012.vhd.bz2
> -h xenserver -s <optional-management-server-secret-key> -F
>

> I've also seen it mentioned that these VMs can be built with maven as
> well, and it seems to me that should be the best process.  If you are
> building devcloud from source, shouldn't you also be building the
> console proxy and secondary storage vms?
>
> Can we get some consensus on the best way to retrieve these VMs?  Or
> when is the best time to build them versus downloading pre-built ones?

Currently the systemVMs are pre-built and not made into a BYO recipe
like devcloud. There has been discussion on working in this direction
but don't think anyone has started work on it yet.

The debian image is right now built using:
./patches/systemvm/debian/buildsystemvm.sh

Perhaps start from there?

--
Prasanna.,