From Min Chen <min.c...@citrix.com>
Subject Need help in updating patch for Review Request
Date Thu, 29 Nov 2012 01:55:48 GMT
Hi there,

I have been following instructions in http://incubator.apache.org/cloudstack/develop/non-contributors.html
to create patch for API refactoring work I have been working on. The instruction may work
well for the ideal case where the patch is quickly approved by review board, but here is my
scenario that I am stuck at updating my patch:
1. I have created a private branch with an up-to-date copy of remote branch (api_refactoring)
at time A, and done my work there, and created a patch using "git format-patch master --stdout
> ~/patch-name.patch', and uploaded it to create a review request, this is perfectly fine.
2. Reviewer reviewed it and provided some feedback that I need to address.
3. Then I am working on addressing the feedback on my private branch and done, need to update
the patch for another review.
4. Just at the same time, remote api_refactoring branch is synced with master branch and bring
in a lot of new commits that are missing in my private branch created at time A when I started
my api refactoring work.
5. So I have to sync my private branch to pull in latest code from remote api_refactoring
and merge conflicts.
6. After all these, what command should I use to create an updated patch for review board?
The documented command "git format-patch master --stdout > ~/patch-name.patch" will generate
a patch file with all those commits brought in from master sync, and also uploading the generated
patch to review board will give out error.

Really appreciate that somebody can provide a quick tip on this. I keep running into such
issues by working on a separate non-master branch.

Thanks
-min