From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] CloudStack Blog and Blogging
Date Sat, 03 Nov 2012 17:11:37 GMT
Thanks for bringing this to the list, Joe. I am happy to own my
suggestions, so I'll state publicly that I brought this up during the
meeting.

My idea is centred around using the blog as a content marketing platform.

cf. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content_marketing

"Content marketing is an umbrella term encompassing all marketing formats
that involve the creation and sharing of content in order to attract,
acquire and engage clearly defined and understood current and potential
consumer bases with the objective of driving profitable customer action.
Content marketing subscribes to the notion that delivering information to
prospects and customers drives profitable consumer action. Content
marketing has benefits in terms of retaining reader attention and improving
brand loyalty."

It's something we do at my day job, and I understand that it's
very successful.

So, the idea is not that we have our committers blog random personal stuff
on the CloudStack blog, but that we see the blog as a way to to post
highly technically, highly-relevant content that relates to CloudStack.
Perhaps a tutorial, perhaps a "Getting CloudStack Running In X Environment"
type thing, perhaps a deep-dive into CloudStack's internals. Stuff that our
customers* will find useful. Stuff that establishes us as thought leaders
in this space. And stuff that keeps new traffic coming in to the project.

* I call them customers because I'm a product manager by profession, and
that's how I see them. It doesn't matter that money is not involved. There
is still an economy at work.

--
NS