From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ASFCS41] Proposed schedule for our next release
Date Sat, 03 Nov 2012 16:06:18 GMT
On 2 November 2012 03:07, Chip Childers <chip.childers@sungard.com> wrote:

> First, note the subject tag of "[ASFCS41]".  I'm making 2 assumptions
> right now.  First, that we should adopt semantic versioning for our
> versioning scheme.  Second, that our next feature release will be
> backward compatible with 4.0.0-incubating.

Cool. Which would make it 5.0, then?

> * Developers, does a 2 month window to get new stuff into a master for
> the feature release work?  Do you think that this is enough time to
> deal with the bugs that come out of testing?

You might want to consider striping your releases, so you do a feature
release, then two bug fix releases.

Consult the following WIP for more of an idea of what I mean:

http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Roadmap_Process

Quoted from that page (which has diagrams, so you're missing out):

Feature

Every three months, we will release a new feature release.

These releases will contain any new features in them since the last
> release, as well as any bugfixes.

If the release contains breaking changes, it will be a major release, else
> it will be a minor release.

Each feature release will be supported for 12 months.

Therefor, at any one particular time, there should be four supported
> feature releases.

Bugfix

Every month in-between the feature releases, we will release bugfix
> releases.

We will do a bugfix release for any supported feature releases, where
> bugfixes are available.

This may involve backporting the bugfix to four supported feature releases.

Just an idea at this stage, even for CouchDB.

But would be interested in hearing how you think it might work for us, here?

--
NS