From Marcus Sorensen <shadow...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Rant: Request for better commit messages
Date Wed, 07 Nov 2012 19:11:05 GMT
That's great, I'm fine with that if I need to create a bug for everything
that I know needs to be fixed in the 4.0 branch for example.  The
header/tag in the commit message may not be something we end up officially
relying on by any means, but would help me as someone who perhaps maintains
a specific feature to take a quick look at the logs in master and branch X
and make sure that everything I thought should be committed ended up in the
branch, or at least provides me a way to audit. I suppose that's a personal
thing so I'll just go forward doing that, but it brought up the question as
to who else might be able to use it or what the official way to tell the
maintainer of a branch that something needs to be considered for inclusion.

It seems like several things were missed at different points when 4.0 was
getting cleaned up, and I don't know if that was due to not following
procedure or a lack of procedure.

On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 11:31 AM, John Burwell <jburwell@basho.com> wrote:

> Marcus,
>
> To my mind, it does not seem appropriate for developers to be making
> release decisions at commit time.  Instead, it feels more appropriate to me
> that these decisions are captured in a ticket that is referenced from the
> commit message.  This separation allows the PMO/release management
> team/community to determine release contents based on the results of review
> (via Review Board) and testing.  If you feel your change is a high priority
> and should be in the next release, you would capture that in the ticket.
>  The PMO/release management team/community can then review that decision
> and comment/adjust as necessary.  A commit message does not permit this
> type of collaboration.  This separation also seems make the creation of
> release notes more straightforward as well.
>
> Thanks,
> -John
>
> On Nov 7, 2012, at 1:16 PM, Marcus Sorensen <shadowsor@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Really I just want to make sure that a commit I make that I know needs to
> > be pushed into the next 4.0 bugfix release gets there. Since someone else
> > is in charge of maintaining 4.0 and merging bug fixes, I can't do it
> > myself, and I'm not really sure how it works now. For example, does that
> > maintainer look through a JIRA report and only merge bugfixes listed
> there?
> >

> > On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 11:03 AM, Rohit Yadav <rohit.yadav@citrix.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> I'm not sure how (cherry picking, pull based on commit message) this
> will
> >> work, but it's good idea to mark the commit with some tag with say
> branch
> >> so we always commit on master?
> >> (Bugfix-for or Branch: <branches> )
> >> Branch: 4.0, master #(comma separated branch names).
> >> Bug-id: CLOUDSTACK-xxx
> >>
> >> This may be ambiguous, says some developer did not know if some commit
> >> would apply for some branch? Another issue is to encourage everyone of
> us
> >> to use this convention.
> >> If we could solve it, that would be great.

as part of a
> nascent

> >> small

commit messages.