From David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS][ASFCS40] 4.0 Branch Lifecycle
Date Tue, 13 Nov 2012 12:42:13 GMT
On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 4:27 AM, Rohit Yadav <rohit.yadav@citrix.com> wrote:
> I've only one concern, if we go for a 4.0.1 bugfix release, since there are a lot of
changes in build system and packaging on master, simply cherry picking may not work.
> I would like to suggest that we drive all our engineering efforts on master (release
wise, build system, esp. pkging are blockers on master), switching between 4.0 and master
may confuse people, I've seen some of my colleagues now becoming comfortable with maven, yes
the build system, so let's not go back to ant. Maybe we can cut out a 4.0.1 release based
on master since there has not been any major feature or backward compatibility breaking change
on master. Flames, thoughts?

That's the 'problem' with having to support releases, you just can't
abandon them. It is a non-trivial amount of work, and there may indeed
be patches that can't simply be cherry-picked but if we 'abandon' the
4.0.x branch I fear we send the wrong message. We know the state of
the 4.0.0 branch compared to 4.0.0 release, but master is a completely
different animal at this point, particularly with regards to packaging
- and that raises the QA bar IMO, because it isn't just whether the
code works, but if it works in its new deployable form.
This overhead also means we should be very conservative about what we
actually try fixing in 4.0.x - there are some bugs that are bad
enough, to warrant being handled in 4.0.1 but that number is pretty
small at this point.