From Chip Childers <chip.child...@sungard.com>
Subject Re: [ASFCS41] Proposed schedule for our next release
Date Thu, 15 Nov 2012 17:46:20 GMT
On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 12:34 PM, Rohit Yadav <rohit.yadav@citrix.com> wrote:
> +1 I'm fine with the proposed schedule as well, but few of my questions were not answered,
if they're worth answering:

> 1. Number of maintenance or bug-fix releases on 4.0.x, 4.1.x etc. and the duration, timeline
of the same?
> 2. Frequency of these rather short term bug-fix releases?
> 3. Are we going to do a LTS, say for a year or two?
> 4. Will we have branch/version maintainers, since as per proposed schedule we will have
3-4 branches by the end of next year? I'm happy to have Joe doing 4.0.x (does this mean he's
the 4.0 maintainer?) and Chip helping us out once again with 4.1.

Purely IMO:

I'd consider major version support to be the main question here.  To
me, our release calendar is fast enough that we can keep bug fix
releases limited to critical bugs and security fixes.  I'd also
propose that we don't support 4.0.x bug fix releases after 4.1.0 is
released.  Instead, we shift to supporting 4.1.x bug fix releases
until 4.2.0.  And then the same thing happens.  The value of semver is
that the product can keep growing, but that the API remains
compatible.  Hence, I would push users to upgrade to the latest
feature release of the major version line they are using for newer
fixes.

Things change when we talk about the 4.x.x series support when we
eventually go to 5.0.0.  IMO, we do need to continue to do the same
critical bug fixes and security patches as needed, for some number of
years.  I'd suggest that it's somewhere in the neighborhood of 2 years
after the new major version is introduced.  Does that sound right to
folks?

As for branch/version maintainers, I'm not sure.  We certainly need to
have folks (thanks Joe!) managing bug-fix releases and doing the
cherry-picking.  We may need to make it a community effort to deal
with any issues merging a fix into an older version though.

-chip