incubator-cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Chip Childers <chip.child...@sungard.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] releases going forward
Date Fri, 09 Nov 2012 16:32:00 GMT
Geoff,

I think you might be confusing previous Citrix road maps with the new
processes / community here at Apache.  The point of this thread is to
establish the Apache CloudStack release schedule, and previous Citrix
discussions on the topic don't really apply anymore.

However, I personally agree with your point about frequency being
important.  IMO, shorter than 6 months is ideal.

-chip

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 3:13 PM, Geoff Higginbottom
<geoff.higginbottom@shapeblue.com> wrote:
> My concern here is that the roadmap has lots of new features, and we do not want to be
waiting 6 months for the next release which was due out in May
>
> Geoff
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: David Nalley [mailto:david@gnsa.us]
> Sent: 14 May 2012 20:07
> To: cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org
> Subject: [DISCUSS] releases going forward
>
> Hi folks,
>
> We had some chatter on private@ list regarding the approrpiateness of announcing the
3.0.2 release on the ASF-hosted lists - and that turned into a discussion of where we go from
here with regards to releases with a few opinions circling on whether we should assume that
it's the last release to be generated by Citrix - and when the Apache CloudStack community
will assume responsibility. Matt dutifully reminded us that the discussion need not be private
- and thus I am bringing that discussion here.
>
> The concern is that there is a fairly significant amount of work to be done to generate
an Apache CloudStack release - a good deal of which will be trial and error and completely
new processes. By way of reference - it appears that Apache OpenOffice took about 10 months
from entering incubation to pushing out a release. I think we are substantially better off
with less to migrate than AOO - but nonetheless it could be a non-trivial amount of time,
whereas we have historically been doing about a release a month.
>
> At the same time, pushing out a Citrix-generated CloudStack release is a pretty closed
process - QA happens behind closed doors, as does decision making about dates, release criteria,
and virtually everything else. It also requires a non-trivial amount of work for folks who
presumably would be otherwise engaged in pushing Apache CloudStack forward.
>
> While I certainly hope that 10 (or even 6)  months doesn't go by without a release, my
personal inclination is to focus on Apache CloudStack - but I am but one voice - please discuss.
>
> Thoughts, comments, flames?
>
> --David
>
> ShapeBlue provides a range of strategic and technical consulting services to help IT
Service Providers and enterprises to build a true IaaS compute cloud. ShapeBlue’s expertise,
combined with CloudStack technology, allows IT Service providers and enterprises to deliver
true, utility based, IaaS to the customer without reengineering existing physical, virtual
or storage layers.
>
> ________________________________
>
> This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for
the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely
those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Shape Blue Ltd. If you are not
the intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon its contents,
nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received
this email in error. Shape Blue Ltd is a company incorporated in England & Wales.

Mime
View raw message