From Chip Childers <chip.child...@sungard.com>
Subject Re: DevCloud setup documentation
Date Thu, 01 Nov 2012 00:56:15 GMT
On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 8:52 PM, Abhijith Chandrashekar
<Abhijith.Chandrashekar@citrix.com> wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I started a week ago with the process of setting up DevCloud on my Macintosh by importing
DevCloud.ova onto VirtualBox. First,  I took the wrong step of building using ant and then
I discovered that the build process had moved on to maven. As I went through this guide -
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/CloudStack+devcloud+environment+setup
- in trying to setup the CloudStack development environment, I ran into a bunch of errors
to which many of you have responded very kindly and promptly. The community seems very well-rooted
and very helpful.

> Some of the errors I faced were fairly trivial and my own mistakes - once there wasn't
enough swap space and at one point I had the wrong version of maven installed. At other times,
the errors I faced seemed to be stemming from the lack of sufficient documentation about a
particular issue - jetty wasn't installing until I made changes to the pom.xml which I had
to figure out on my own, I had to make modifications to db.properties.override in the utils
directory before I could resolve the error with denial of access to the database for user
'root'@'localhost'. The link to stackoverflow on the wiki wasn't much help there. I was just
wondering if other people have gone through similar issues, in which case, it might make sense
to include them in the wiki?

> For starters, I think it should be specifically mentioned that one must use maven3 and
not any previous versions. I was using maven2 and the last step in starting the mgmt. server
did not execute.

> How should I go about getting the items reviewed so that they can be added to the wiki?

I think it's fair to say that you should simply add / edit / correct
liberally.  As long as the pages are improving, then there isn't any
sort of *approval* needed.  Make the changes you think need to be
made.  If there is a specific question / concern, raise it on the list
to see if you can get an answer...  then edit away.

-chip