From Sebastien Goasguen <run...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Student Community ?
Date Mon, 12 Nov 2012 17:34:58 GMT
Hi,

There are lots of things that we can do with "Students" besides GSoC. Definitely talking at
universities and in a student linux/java user group is one of them.

In general, I would say that students are shy with engaging a community of professionals,
and may not be up to submitting patches, talking on lists, and IRC. You can find a few students
here and there who would give valuable contribution to CloudStack but they will be few.

That said engaging students is a worthy endeavor. I was thinking we could develop an "EDU"
area similar to what Google has done with http://code.google.com/edu , there www.google.com/edu
is amazing but a bit far beyond reach right now.

Quite a bit of our content (docs, slideshare, youtube) could be refactored to provide useful
lessons plans around cloud computing, and provide tutorials. This is why for example I am
very interested in DevCloud, it's a dev environment but also a great teaching tool.

PS: Two examples of current collaboration with universities:

*I have been working with University of Florida to help them put CloudStack on the FutureGrid
(A US project): https://portal.futuregrid.org/projects/250
Some of you might meet Mauricio Tsugawa at the collaboration conference.
*I am also working with a french engineering school who is using cloudstack as a capstone
project: http://btrcloudstack.free.fr/btrCloudStack.php

I would be happy to work with anyone interested in this and help coordinate an education plan
for our community.

-Sebastien